All submissions were discussed within the Adjudication subcommittee and the Solo Grading subcommittee, and with the BCPA sanctioned highland games. Their recommendations were reviewed and approved by the Board of Directors.
Approved changes were adopted February 11, 2020 and are listed below. The announcement was unfortunately placed on hold due to the rapidly changing situation with the COVID-19 virus pandemic.
The updated rules documents are located here.
Effective for 2020 Season
- Elimination of the Beginner and Grade 5 Piping 4/4 March event
- Clarification of Grade 4 and Adult Piping Piobaireachd events to be “Ground and next variation (singling)”
For Beginner, changed to:
- On Practice Pad
- 2/4 March (4 parts of BCPA Massed Band setting. 75 bpm metronome accompaniment only)
- 6/8 March (4 parts of BCPA Massed Band setting. 80 bpm metronome accompaniment only)
Adjudicator or steward will provide the metronome.
For Grade 2, changed to:
- 2/4 March (minimum four parts. Playing and flourishing required. Piper optional)
- 6/8 March (minimum four parts. Playing and flourishing required. Piper optional)
Snare drummer accompaniment still required.
Bellingham Scottish Gathering met the Grand Aggregate rules criteria and has been awarded Grand Aggregate status.
Effective for the 2020/21 season
(Rules documents to be updated later to include these changes)
Grade 5, Grade 4, and Adult Piping
Incorporation of Adult Piping grade players into the mainstream of player development, with elimination of the Adult Piping grade and the splitting of the Grade 5 and Grade 4 Piping grades into Grade 5 Junior & Grade 5 Senior and Grade 4 Junior & Grade 4 Senior grades.
The Senior grades will be players 18 years of age and older as of October 1 of the competition season.
The Junior grades will be players under 18 years of age as of October 1 of the competition season.
The music requirements for Grade 5 Junior and Grade 5 Senior will be the same as the current Grade 5 music requirements.
The music requirements for Grade 4 Junior and Grade 4 Senior will be the same as the current Grade 4 music requirements.
At a BCPA sanctioned competition, the music requirements of the events in the Junior & Senior grades will be the same.
Details on the process for assignment of current Adult grade pipers into Grade 5 Senior and Grade 4 Senior will be announced later.
Grade names will be changed to Beginner, Novice (formerly Grade 2), Intermediate (formerly Grade 1), and Open to harmonize with other associations.
For Beginner grade events, minimum flourishing and rudiments will be added to the music requirements; BCPA Massed Band Tenor Drumming scores to be updated accordingly.
For Novice grade events, music requirements will be the same as current Grade 2 music requirements.
For Intermediate grade, 6/8 March event will replace the Hornpipe & Jig event, to enable improved transition from Novice.
For Open grade events, music requirements will be the same as current Open music requirements.
Other changes for Tenor Drumming competitions
- encouraging and qualifying Open Tenor Drummers to become BCPA Adjudicators (enabling tenor drummers to adjudicate tenor drummers)
- developing guidance for adjudicators in adjudicating tenor drumming events
- for the Intermediate grade Super Aggregate winner of the combined Mini-Gathering and Annual Gathering, eligible for travel prize* to compete at Winter Storm
- for the Open grade Aggregate winner at the Annual Gathering, eligible for travel prize* to compete at Winter Storm
* Travel prizes subject to minimum number of competitors, otherwise travel prize monies will be placed into a national/international competitions travel fund for tenor drummers. This travel prize criteria will also apply to travel prizes for Grade 1 Snare Drumming at the Mini-Gatherings and Annual Gathering and Open Snare Drumming at the Annual Gathering.